Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a mental illness that causes repeated unwanted thoughts or sensations (obsessions) or the urge to do something over and over again (compulsions). OCD symptoms in teens present as obsessions or compulsions that can interfere with all aspects of life, such as work, school, and personal relationships.
OCD Symptoms in Teens
Common obsession symptoms include:
- Fear of germs or contamination
- Aggressive thoughts towards others or self
- Having things symmetrical or in a perfect order
Common compulsions include:
- Excessive cleaning and/or handwashing
- Ordering and arranging things in a particular way
- Repeatedly checking on things, such as repeatedly checking to see if the door is locked
- Compulsive counting
Contact us for treatment options.